You just received a lovely bunch of flowers! let me share some tips to keep your beautiful bouquet fresh for longer.
1) Go ahead and grab your vase. A glass or ceramic vase or water jug works best. Check if the vase is big enough for your bunch. Too small and flowers will not be able to breathe! Clean your vase with soapy water and then rinse several times under running water to get rid of any soap residue. Now spray it with some white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to disinfect your vase.
2) Unwrap the bouquet. Get rid of all of the paper and plastic.
3) The stems of the bouquet are kept in shape with the holding tie on the stems. Its best to leave the holding tie on. This helps in keeping the shape of your arrangement.
4) Fill the vase with water. If your bunch came with flower food, add 1/4th of the flower food to the vase. If there's no flower food, you can easily make your own by adding 1/4th of a teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and a few drops of bleach or janola. Even that sounds like too much hassle, you can just add few drops of bleach to your vase, that would do. But make sure to change the water every two days, pretty flowers like to be in drinking clean water! It'll be imperative to mention here that some flowers by nature are longer lasting like Chrysanthemums while other flowers may not last more than 5 days.
5) Measure the length of the stems with the height of your vase. Trim the stems with a pair of clean, sharp scissors at an angle. This angled cut helps the flowers drink well. Pull out any leaves that may come in contact with water when the bunch is placed in the vase. This is done to avoid bacteria developing in the vase due to submerged leaves.
6) It is important to keep your flowers away from the fruit bowl, direct sunlight and heaters.
You're all set to enjoy your fresh flowers :)